Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Thursday Thirteen - Even More Strange-But-True Facts
My Strange-But-True post seemed to entertain quite a few people last week, so I'm back with more (I found enough of these to go on for the next 8 or 9 Thursdays):
1. Chewing gum while peeling onions will keep you from crying! I've never heard this one. I'd try it, but I'm a fast chopper and don't usually spend enough time cutting onions to make my eyes tear.
2. Fortune cookies were actually invented in America, in 1918, by Charles Jung! Not really surprised with this one.
3. America once issued a 5-cent bill!
4. You'll eat about 35,000 cookies in a lifetime! And we wonder why we're an overweight nation.
5. Q is the only letter in the alphabet that does not appear in the name of any of the United States! Nifty!
6. A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court! Ooh, niftier! I knew this about aluminum, but not gold. I wonder if most metals are like this.
7. Smelling bananas and/or green apples (smelling, not eating) can help you lose weight! I wanna know more about this one.
8. Bulls are colorblind, therefore will usually charge at a matador's waving cape no matter what color it is -- be it red or neon yellow!
9. The opposite sides of a dice cube always add up to seven!
10. The original name for the butterfly was 'flutterby'! That's what I always call 'em. Well, actually, I call them flutterbee's, but I think that's influenced by my 3yo.
11. Of all the words in the English language, the word 'set' has the most definitions! Huh.
12. Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel, "Gadsby", which contains over 50,000 words -- none of them with the letter E (the most used letter in the alphabet)! How did he string a sentence together, then?
13. The electric chair was invented by a dentist! I knew these guys were sadists. (The irony here: I originally went to college considering dentistry, but then I developed some kind of weird thing about hands and mouths [don't even know why] and now the thought of putting my hands in anyone's mouth or having someone else's or my own hands in my mouth makes me nauseated and gives me the willies.)
Check out more participants HERE.