Thursday, March 22, 2012
Thursday Thirteen: Strange-But-True Facts
Random Strange-But-True Facts (with a few of my comments added in:
1. The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. It was the fashion in Renaissance Florence to shave them off!
2. Every day 20 banks are robbed. The average take is $2,500! Not exactly what I would chance life in prison for.
3. Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult!
4. The names of Popeye's four nephews are Pipeye, Peepeye, Pupeye, and Poopeye! Poopeye? Really?
5. When glass breaks, the cracks move faster than 3,000 miles per hour. To photograph the event, a camera must shoot at a millionth of a second!
6. The Philadelphia mint produces 26 million pennies per day! Haven't they heard that pennies are the least-liked coin?
7. A lightning bolt generates temperatures five times hotter than those found at the sun's surface!
8. A violin contains about 70 separate pieces of wood!
9. Forest fires move faster uphill than downhill! Cool!
10. Most lipstick contains fish scales! Eew.
11. Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people!
12. Clinophobia is the fear of beds! So where do they sleep?
13. A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second!
View other participants here.